Friday, September 26, 2008

Just a little Paulson romance




I loved this little tid-bit from the congressional talks over the $700 billion bailout. From the NY Times:

. . . in the Roosevelt Room after the session, the Treasury secretary, Henry M. Paulson Jr., literally bent down on one knee as he pleaded with Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, not to “blow it up” by withdrawing her party’s support for the package over what Ms. Pelosi derided as a Republican betrayal.

“I didn’t know you were Catholic,” Ms. Pelosi said, a wry reference to Mr. Paulson’s kneeling, according to someone who observed the exchange. She went on: “It’s not me blowing this up, it’s the Republicans.”

Mr. Paulson sighed. “I know. I know.”

Now we all know the man can get dramatic, but this is a whole new level. I can't imagine what going on a date with this guy would be like. I just keep thinking of 19th century melodrama, Pelosi, the wry, dry-witted spinster product of some entrenched, centuries-old royalty, and Paulson, a foppish ragamuffin with a streak of true passion for the bill they two shared together, a bill that could never be. Well, maybe someday, but not tonight--when their passion was at its hottest.

"I didn't know you were Catholic Paulson. . . or that you thought I was a Virgin."

There might be more than a few issues they need to talk out.

Beck, from when his passion was at its hottest; or, at least, when he was still finishing his songs by sampling alvin and the chipmunks. Oh, the good ol' days.

"Yr Love is Weird"

No comments: